Sunday, November 20, 2005

JUST A LIL' BIT KOUNTRY

Someone tuned the radio in my office/studio/skool area to 650 WSM. Dolly Parton's "Jolene" is blasting (eye turned it up when the song came on). Nostalgia has overtaken my attempt to work on my retail one sheet. All that comes to mind is how reassuring country music sounded to me as a youth. Having spent the majority of my life in Nashville, it was almost ritualistic that Country & Western be a part of the average daily goings-on.

Every single morning in my Granny's house, it was understood that the first person to visit the kitchen was responsible for powering the outdated clock/radio that permanently sat next to the 4-slice toaster. Every day after school, the first one in would power the radio off. It was a crime to change the dial. So no one ever did. Not for decades.

Dolly is my girl from back in the day. She used to ride in on that train like it was a Bentley.

Sing along now:

"Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene
I'm begging of you please don't take my man
Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene
Please don't take him just because you can
Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green"

You slappin' that right knee yet? Stompin' that foot? Yee-hoo!

=======

No comments:

Post a Comment